HOME     ABout     Contact

2.22.2012

Giving up....something.




Even though I am a Christian, I have never been one to give up anything for Lent because in my naive mind I thought it was strictly a Catholic tradition

Well, I went to Google to learn more about the tradition of Lent because I don't really know anything about it except you give up something for 40 days.


Here are my research findings:
(if any of these are not correct, please tell me in the comment section)

a. According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/, Lent means The 40 weekdays from Ash Wednesday until Easter observed by Christians as a season of fasting and penitence in preparation for Easter.

b. Another website I found contradicts everything I thought I knew about Lent and is basically saying that giving up something for Lent is not any more Christ-Centered than cussing someone out on the street.

It is a fairly long article, so if you want to read it click here:
 Personally, I am not sure how I feel about this website.  It may make some claims but if I give up one thing and make a conscious effort to prepare my heart for the Easter season, I don't really see the problem in this.  
How is ever getting closer to Jesus a bad thing?


c.  When does Lent begin? 
Well, today.


According to one website I clicked off of Google, Lent in 2012 will start on Wednesday, the 22nd of February and will continue for 46 days until Saturday, the 7th of April.


In Western Christianity Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Holy Saturday. The six Sundays in Lent are not counted among the forty days of lent because each Sunday represents a "mini-Easter", a celebration of Jesus' victory over sin and death.
c1.  I guess it is technically 40 days because you cancel out the Sundays. 
Hmm, okay.

____________________________________

That is all the research I took the time to find.  If there is anything else about Lent I did not talk about or you know and want me to know, please leave a comment down below or shoot me an email. I love to learn. 

____________________________________

Lila was the first person to make me start thinking about Lent last year.  
She gave up candy; Colleen (her sister) gave up cheese and candy. 

Colleen, Me, Lila

This year, Lila and I decided to give up: 
ALL FRIED FOODS. 

That means if I go to Mexican, I can't eat the chips with the salsa.
If I go to Subway, I won't be able to eat Doritos.
No Chick-fil-a, no Wendy's fries or chicken nuggets, the list goes on and on.

But you know what? 
This could be an awesome thing.
I'm ready to sacrifice fried foods because deep down I know that it isn't that big of a sacrifice.

God sent his Son, Jesus, down here to Earth for each one of us. 
He died for me (and you) so I'm pretty sure I can lay off of some french fries. 

I'm curious though: 
Have you ever/Do you give up anything for Lent every year?

1 comment:

  1. I'm Methodist and we celebrate Lent so give up something for Lent every year, but also try and add something in as well. This year I'm giving up chocolate, but adding in a new book called the SEven Last Words of Christ as well as making myself get up every morning to read my devotional (as well as looking up all of the day's verses...which I slack on too often!) every morning before work.

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.