HOME     ABout     Contact

2.21.2012

Watch out for the baby!


Mardi Gras is one of those traditions that up until 3 years ago, I knew nothing about. 

This past week at work our main boss left a King Cake in each floor's break room ( I did not eat any - biggest loser remember?) But with the email she sent us, she gave the history of it and I wanted to let yall know it too, just in case your like me and want to know more information about the tradition of getting the baby in the cake.

History of Mardi Gras King Cakes
Dating back centuries, kingcakes are presented at the beginning of the Mardi Gras season on January 6th, the Feast of the Epiphany (also known as Twelfth Night) as part of the rich Christian celebration, all in homage to the three kings that bore gifts for the baby Jesus. Small trinkets were included in the king cake such as a coin, stone and more recently, a plastic baby. The recipient of one of these items was then named king or queen for the day, and obligated to host the following year’s party, or supply the next king cake.

Although the French had been celebrating with king cakes long before the Louisiana Purchase, the colors that adorn the cakes, purple, Green and Gold were chosen by Rex, King of Carnival to represent justice, faith, and power, respectively in the 1870s.
Interesting, huh?

Even though I have now been to New Orleans twice in my life, I don't know if I will ever experience the Mardi Gras celebration that goes on for a month there.  I am not a huge "crowd loving" person, so I don't think it would be as fun to me if I could barely walk down Bourbon Street. 

With that being said, I had planned on going down to the MS Gulf Coast this past weekend and throwing beads to random strangers off of one of my best friends' floats.  Well the weather ruined that plan.

So since I could not celebrate on Saturday, I hope that Anna and the crew have a fabulous time at the parade tonight.  Here are some photos from Febuary 2009 to help me feel like I am there:

Colleen and I at Anna's pool house/apartment before we left

the float


get ya some.



Charlie's Angels. 



Coming up Tomorrow:
My own version of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.