HOME     ABout     Contact

5.08.2012

What HALF my twenties HAVE taught me..



I have never been the blogger to 'link' up to anything but when I saw Sarah do this post it made me sit back and ponder on what I've learned so far in my 20's.

[This is Sarah and her wonderful picture]

 I turned 25 last Wednesday and considering I'm only half-way through my 20's...I know I have learned a handful of important lessons. 
 
1. Not every single person you meet/talk to/work with is going to like you, and that is okay.
My first job was at a pizza restauraunt when I was 17.  I am now working in a state building in a cubicle.  Obviously, there are many differences between these two jobs but there is also one similarity: you won't impress everyone.  

You don't have to be everyone's friend.  Make friendships with only the people who care enough about you to do the same.  Life is too short to try and get everyone to like you. Be open but don't let that open-ness end up shutting you down. You are great.
 
2. Be good to your body because your body is being good to you.
I am not going to lie, if I could eat a sausage biscuit from Burger King every morning, a jr. cheeseburger deluxe w/no mayo and a medium fry from Wendy's, and Newks for dinner every night - I totally would. But honestly, that meal every day would kill me, quick.
Some mornings I break down and make that drive through Burger King but the next morning I will eat Special K Cereal.
 
I had an epiphany one morning while eating BK (see a trend here?) - I ordered their Cini-mini's and a large coke.  I sat down at my desk and then thought of my dad (who has diabetes).  I looked down at literally all the fat and sugar and said to myself "this is not good for me, my body is only going to last so long before it decides it's not going to help me anymore because I'm not helping it." So I threw that $1.09 in the trash.
My point is this: Our bodies can be selfish and we should treat them like they are the BOSS.
Because if you really think about it, You are not the boss, your HEART is.

 
3.  BEST Friendships are rare and take work.
I am not married or even have a boyfriend, but one thing I do have is friends.
I have had some HUGE friendships become nothing, and a few people that once started off as nothing become my everything.

You will lose friends in your life and if you gain them back, well it was meant to be.  When you lose a friend, cry - pray - and know that whatever happened, it was meant to be at the time.

Sometimes you just grow apart from people and that is okay.  People move off, we graduate from the schools we met our "best" friends at, and sometimes you get truly luckyTruly lucky means that even if one of you move off miles away and you can only meet a handful of times, if you can just pick up right where you left off? Well that is a true friendship that isn't going anywhere.

It all depends on how much love/energy/time you want to spend with someone.
Anyone can be an friend but there is always, always a moment when you realize someone is your BEST friend.
 
4. Figure out who YOU are. 
I don't know if this one needs any explaining but I will say this: I still have not figured out myself yet completely. 
And you know what? I think that is okay. 

I don't think we ever fully understand ourselves; we should always be trying to further ourselves and make ourselves better. 

Some days I don't know if I am at the job I am meant to do my entire life. 
I know I am an introvert to the highest degree, but that just means I have to push myself a little further than other extroverts do. 
My neck breaks out when I drink alcohol, gets mad/excited/scared/etc. 
I am allergic to almost all jewelry, especially earrings. 
I am not a born runner - I will need to train.

These are just some of the things I know about myself - Life is all about learning to create yourself and I think when you figure out bits of who you are - you are just better.
 
5. Never get too old to have fun.
About a month ago, one of my best friends sent me this text message: "hey my mom and her friend want to dress up like they did in the 80's tonight and work out to Richard Simmon's, you down?" My first introvert thought, was 'no thanks.' But then I sent her a text that said "it sounds ridiculous so....count me in."



Be willing to dress crazy or act silly - You only get this one life. Might as well laugh and enjoy it.
 
6. Your family will not be around forever - embrace each moment you have with them.
Sometimes I forget this one, mostly because I still live at home and my parents are homebodies (besides going to work) so I see them all the time.  Things will not be the same as they are now forever. My younger sister will probably be engaged/married before me.  Soak in each moment when my mom, sister and I go on beach trips.  Play poker with my dad.
Do these things now - better than regretting not doing them later on in life.
 
I need to remember that it isn't the quantity of our time, but the quality. Make your time on this earth count.
 
Watch this video and try not to be motivated to do something great.

 
7. Young does not always = best, strongest, or invincible.
You will fail, it is just going to happen. Failure makes you realize that you are human and you can make a mistake. Mistakes are the building blocks to our whole life, I feel.  If you never fail, how do you know if you are really living/improving?
That being said, don't take your 20's for granted. You are not invincible, you can die and will someday, eventually.

I hope this lesson isn't morbid - I just want to say that just because your in your 20's doesn't mean you can do whatever you want all the time.
You should still take time to floss your teeth, eat more salads than fries, get enough sleep, drink enough water, love others, go to work on time,  exercise, and never stop forgiving/asking for forgiveness.
 
8. Travel, whenever you can.
I will never forget my first time out of the United States.  I traveled to Rome, Italy in November of 2007.  



I hate to admit that it has been over 4 years since I've traveled out of the country but I don't let that stop me from traveling at all.
Travel to the next state over from you. Go visit your college besties that are now married and live in different cities.
Travel anywhere and travel often.
You may be tired when you get back home, but those memories will always be a part of you. And some days, those trips are the only thing that keeps me going; definitely something to look forward to.
 
9. Trust your instincts, mostly in love.
I am no relationship expert.  My longest 'official' relationship (before Facebook) was for 5 months in high school.  That being said, I can honestly admit that I don't think I've ever been in love. The love that everyone describes as passionate, heart-melting, knee-weakening, makes others want to throw up love.

I don't have to have a guy around to make myself feel better, I know I'm pretty awesome the way I am. Dating makes me nervous - so do phone calls.  I would rather text ;)
I guess what I'm saying here is: You are enough. 

You only really have yourself in this life - if people add to it, great. Love yourself first, and things will fall into place eventually.
I am still waking up every day, sometimes wondering where my 'eventually' is, but knowing that God puts everyone in your life for a reason and true love will find me.
I just have to be open enough to receive it.

But not just with anyone - if you aren't feeling someone, don't drag it out. Just move on.
 
 
 
I am sure there are plenty more things my 20's have taught me, but these are the only ones I can think of at the top of my head.  I hope you can relate to these, but what I'm really hoping is that you will share some of the things you have learned so far in your 20's.....
 
Will you?
 Comment below.
 

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely love your post. SO true. I had a blast writing my "lessons from my twenties" blog, hope you did too!

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel about the 'love' thing. I'm 20 now and I have never had a boyfriend and lots of people think its weird. But it doesn't bother me as much (ok sometimes it does) but I know that the right moment/person hasn't come along yet! And dating makes me nervous as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cassie, I'm mostly a lurker but I wanted to comment on #9 and tell you I have been in relationships, even one as long as 1yr+ and I am 27 years old and in love for the first time in my life. Neither my boyfriend nor I had ever even said those words to anyone else, but like all those cray cray people say, when you know, you know. And when you wait as long as we did, you know they are more meaningful because you know who you are yourself. Anyway, rambling idiot- rambling idiot in love ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL of your points and priorities listed above. But I especially love number 4. You know.. I totally fell in love with my now-husband ten years ago because even at a young age, he was so aware and confident about who he was. I don't know if that makes sense. But at the same age (19) I felt like I was re-inventing myself every day. His confidence in himself was, and remains, so reassuring. It helped me settle down within myself as well! (Wow, I don't think I articulated that point well at all, but I hope you get it!)

    Also... that video you posted is completely amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.