HOME     ABout     Contact

11.21.2012

Salads and Sassy Hips.




This past weekend was easy on the checkbook and hard on the hips.
My mom took my sister and I down to New Orleans for the weekend for none other than....



After working all day Friday and packing as soon as I got home, we hit the road around 6.
We made it to our hotel around 10 - had a few stops in between.
We took showers and got in bed.
What...a wild friday night in Nola. 

On Saturday morning, I woke up around 6 am in our freezing cold hotel room to start getting ready.

Our mom was our personal chauffeur to drive us to the LakeFront Arena around 7 - 
we hadn't 'checked in' yet and I didn't know what the line would look like.  
Turns out the line wasn't as bad at all; 
wish I could say the same for the wind, but I can not.  

It took us 5 minutes to get our stuff and we made our way over to a log to prep ourselves for the 9:00 start time. 
Two hours to pin our number to our shirts? Plenty of enough time.





Around 8:20, we decided to make our way to the start.  
Somehow we ended up in wave 1, which was kinda cray.  
Did not expect that at all, but so so so glad we did.  
The announcer said there were 12,000 people at this particular color run. 
A couple even got married before the race started! 
Seriously. 
And then ran the race, that's some kind of wedding reception for sure.


I started off jogging a bit too fast and slowly came down from that adrenaline high - plus my sister and I both agreed we were going to walk it.  


Well, I have to tell you guys something: I walk with sass.  
Like switch my hips and work it kinda walk.  
It's second nature to me, even Lady Gaga knows I was born with it.  
But here's the thing: when I race or walk fast for a long period of time, I start to hurt.  
Like can't walk correctly and start limping a bit.  


It's semi ridiculous because I know what's caused this:
 My 8 to 5 desk job, I need to be more active.  
I can't have this much trouble getting around at 25.  
85 will be a nightmare.

But overall, the race was fun.
I got a lot more color on me than I did in Memphis last month.
However, I hurt a whole lot more this time around so Bourbon Street was not the same.

But something eased the pain a bit, 
eating at Channing Tatum's new restaurant: Saints & Sinners.






I ordered from the "Build Your Own Salad" item, 
my sister ordered the Shrimp Po'boy, and my mom ordered the Ratatouille. 
Everything was DELICIOUS.


This is definitely a restaurant I recommend for a girls night out.
Too loud/dimly lit for a date.
But don't take my word for it, I wouldn't know anything about dates anyway....

_____________________________________


Hey runners walkers, any tips for me to not hurt as bad after a race? 

4 comments:

  1. Walking with sass is the only way to walk in my opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hips used to kill me when I ran. Most likely it's your IT band that's bothering you - at least that's what my physical therapist friend told me. She recommended foam rolling. Here's a link to a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk

    You can get a foam roller on Amazon or a running store for as little as $10.

    I do it after every long run or when I'm feeling tight. And seriously - once I started doing it regularly my hips have never hurt again, like ever. It's a miracle worker!

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to find a color run near me! They look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I love your blog! So glad I found it. I'm hoping to win that Garmin of yours!:) I just bought a foam roller like Gabby said (last night, actually!) and I already love it. I ran my first 5k ever yesterday and was super sore. The foam roller really helped!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.