HOME     ABout     Contact

6.17.2013

Tums or Tic Tacs?




If I could stress anything today it would be this:
DON'T take a supplement just because a bikini competitor does.

As most of you know, I am a distributor for Advocare.
And all the products I've taken have been great.
Recently, I saw one of the girls I follow on Instagram take Advocare Arginine Extreme Pre-workout powder to get her through her cardio workouts.
I thought "hey I definitely need something to help me power through my cardio sessions after working err'day"


I bought it on Tuesday and it was shipped to me by Friday afternoon two weeks ago.
Last Saturday, I decided to rearrange my room and I drank a bottle of water mixed with one scoop of the powder - felt fine.
Sunday after church I took another scoop in one bottle of water and went to the gym.
Didn't stay long cause I still felt tired and hadn't eaten anything so I went home - little while later I had a headache - I never get headaches.
Monday night I drank a bottle of water mixed with one scoop and went to a bootcamp class.
Woke up Tuesday morning COMPLETELY NAUSEAS.
like throwing up 4 times and barely eating a thing tuesday.
Had to leave work I felt so bad.
Stayed in bed all day Tuesday afternoon and all day/night Wednesday.
Thursday I felt okay to come back to work but to end this story - I didn't feel good until yesterday.
That's right folks 6 days of nausea, hardly eating, stomach pains, gas, bloating, you name it.

Did the powder stuff do this to me?
I absolutely say YES.

I must be one of the few sensitive folks who cannot take this supplement.
I am now even more nervous for my half marathon training.
What if I can't do it on my energy alone?

_________________

Here is what I researched about the amino acid, Arginine:

L-arginine is a conditionally essential amino acid, meaning it can be synthesized by your body in low amounts, but may still need to be acquired from food sources. Arginine acts as a precursor to many different enzymes and hormones throughout your body, causing a wide range of effects. Athletes supplement with arginine for its potential performance enhancing benefits during bouts of intense exercise. However, too much arginine may lead to potentially severe side effects. Consult your physician before using a supplement containing L-arginine.



Gastrointestinal Effects

In the book "Anabolic Primer," by Phil Embleton and Gerard Thorne, the authors state that arginine in smaller doses is generally well tolerated by most individuals. However, high amounts of L-arginine may lead to gastrointestinal distress, such as an upset stomach, abdominal cramps, bloating, gout, nausea, and diarrhea. Taking arginine supplements with adequate amounts of water may offset the natural acidity of arginine, which may reduce the risk of developing gastrointestinal side effects, especially if you are ingesting high doses of arginine.



________________________


I leave for the beach in 8 days.
(hence the reason for the beach picture above)

My to do list to get myself back on track (thanks to arginine) is the following:

  • Use MyFitnessPal app everyday
  • Drink plenty of water (mixed with nothing)
  • Tuesday = Yoga
  • Elliptical/walk/run on treadmill rest of week
  • No more bread
  • Stay away from processed/fast food restaurants if possible
  • Get enough sleep

If I learned one thing this past week is that you can't just take anything.
Listen to your body.
And pop Tums like Tic Tacs if you have to.
Ain't no shame in my stomach's game.




2 comments:

  1. glad you feel better! That's no fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassie!

    I just wanted to let you know that you will do great for you half marathon on energy alone. I am also doing st. Jude's in December. It will be my 5th half and have done one full marathon. Train to finish and don't have a time in mind to beat. You will automatically have a pr! Be sure to follow a training program with one long run per week. Trust that the training will get you through.
    I rarely comment on blogs, but I really enjoy reading yours and wanted to let you know that you are going to rock your half!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.