HOME     ABout     Contact

7.30.2014

Paradise and a Pageant.

 
 
 
 
This past weekend I was lucky enough to attend the Miss & Mr. Magnolia State Pageant.  I haven't been to a pageant lately and with the Miss Mississippi pageant ending a couple weeks back, I had the fever to be involved again, as a spectator, of course.
 
Brooke was kind enough to allow me to crash her pageant weekend (and I'm sure she enjoyed not being the only person in the hotel room above kid age).  The weekend involved dresses, makeup, pool time, Cracker barrel dinners, all the candy you could eat, casual wear, the best breakfast buffet and of course, hairspray.  Brailyn ended up in the top 20 out of her division of 52 contestants and then walked away with 17th place.  Pretty sweet way to end a Sunday. 
 
But what I really enjoyed overall was her enthusiasm just being a kid.  The minute we got in the $60.00 a night room, she screamed THIS IS PARADISE!  I mean, our hotel was pretty great, the pillows were very close to coming home with me, but it wasn't a fancy resort.  Erica and Brailyn had the best time - jumping from bed to bed, swimming their hearts out and just doing kid things. 
 
I laughed at the time, but it made me realize something: How much do we consider ourselves living in Paradise?  We may be too old now to jump from bed to bed, but aren't we are constantly jumping to the next big thing/purchase or conclusion.  We don't fight with pillows anymore and laugh whole-heartedly when someone 'knocks' us down; we verbally fight with each other, pick out things we don't like that the other person is doing and try to 'knock' them down a bit. 
 
This weekend showed me a few things that I hope I never forget.  Whenever I get the chance, I want to tell the younger generation how proud I am of them.  Their childhood growing up is completely different than how mine was.  I worried about feeding my Tamagotchi before it died, and nowadays, kids are being bullied and wondering if they will be fed that day.  I guess what I am trying to say is...
 
If you have a roof over your head, family/friends that love you, a reason for living and a good attitude - your life really is paradise. 
 
P.S. if you want to see the pillow fight video, follow me on Instagram @alwaysablogsmaid
 
 


2 comments:

  1. It's so true. I forget to live as a kid sometimes. Then I look at the kids these days and there was definitely bullying back in the day but nothing like what it is now. It's so harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet! I'm glad you had such a good time and got this new perspective. Reading your post just made me want to slow down and really enjoy the little things. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.