HOME     ABout     Contact

1.09.2015

My Internet Footprint

I have been battling a 101 degree fever and strep throat this week.
Thank you so much if you left me a well wish to get better. 
But I am now on the up and up, so here is something that has been on my mind for a while...



There are so many pros and cons about blogging/personal websites/social media.
My mom has always told me that what you post about online never goes away.  
I don't want to quit using the Internet.  In our world today, it is very hard to even do that.

But this year, I want to do something different.
I want to have a positive Internet footprint.



What is that exactly?


According to dictionary.com, a digital footprint is...
1.
one's unique set of digital activities, actions, and communications that leave a data trace on the Internet or on a computer or other digital device and can identify the particular user or device:
2.
one’s overall impact, impression, or effect as manifested on the Internet; online presence or visibility, as of a person or company: a celebrity with a large digital footprint
​. ​




The second definition is what really sticks out to me: my impact on others in my online presence.  
You can pretend to be whoever you want to be on the internet and that can be good or bad. 
Lately, I have noticed something in the internet blog world that is not sitting well with me: a particular website acronymed as GOMI.  

I am not going to link the website because I don't want to have any connection to it; other than my own words about it.  It stands for GET OFF MY INTERNET and basically means that you can talk crap about whatever blogger you want to and people comment below and add to the thread of gossip.  

It is based off of blogs that are really popular; I tried to find my own blog on there (selfish, I know) and I was nowhere to be found.  That brought my blogger high horse off it's pedestal.  To reference Mean girls, it's an internet Burn Book.  Anyone who makes an account can write about whatever they want to on whoever they want to that falls into a blog category: Fashion blogs, Running blogs, Mommy blogs, Lifestyle blogs, etc. 

I first stumbled upon one that came up on a dear friend of mine - a sweet person who I actually know in real life and I couldn't believe some of the things people were saying about her - making judgments on someone they have never met.  

I am absolutely disgusted by some of the things that have been written about strong, encouraging blogs I read.  





Here is where my argument for my internet footprint comes in.
How do I want to be remembered?  

You know whatever you put on the internet is there FOREVER, right?  Long after I'm gone, my great great grandchildren (if I ever get a husband first) will be able to Google their old granny and come right to my page: probably right to this post and that my friends, is incredible and scary.  Do you want your family (who hasn't even been born yet) reading some things you have posted online? 

The TimeHop app I downloaded this year has been an eye-opener for sure.  I scroll through it every morning at 9 am and can't believe some of the things I wrote.  I cannot believe I thought some of those Facebook statuses were funny enough to post 5+ years ago.  Newsflash, they were not.  

However, I can't help but remind myself that I am not perfect.  I also talk about other bloggers' lives to my friends, but I guess the difference is I am not leaving it on an internet forum to be reminded about years from now.  

As a blogger, we are putting our lives out there to be talked about and criticized but I don't think we ever want to be slammed by strangers.   I know there is a saying that goes: "you can be the most juiciest peach in all the world, and there is still going to be someone who hates peaches."  Even though that is true,  I think it is too easy for people these days to make fake profiles and ruin someone's life/reputation. 
I guess that's why I am changing my view point on my little blog of mine.  

My internet footprint is not just mine; it affects other people.   I want what I post to be able to encourage others and not bring them down.  This blog started off as just an online diary just for me to remember my days, but I think it has to become more than that:  

I truly believe our internet footprint is for the days when we are no longer walking on Earth. 

3 comments:

  1. Sarah Teague LoudermilkJanuary 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM

    This is a great way to start the new year. I don't want to be a fake or negative person I want people to know the real me so when I or my family looks back in a few years they will see the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Sarah! Thank you for commenting and reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our internet footprint is a double edged sword in a lot of ways. It’s definitely important to be careful about what you post online, whether it is words or pictures, but at the same time it’s important to be real. A person’s digital footprint will become a time capsule for future generations, but some of the most interesting and endearing qualities are those that seem to us to be imperfections.

    Demarcus @ Cirrus Reach Online Marketing

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.