HOME     ABout     Contact

3.26.2015

A Crazy Catch


As many weddings as I have been in and/or attended over the years, there is one thing that has never happened to me: 
catching the bouquet at the reception.   

Guess what? I caught the bouquet on Saturday night and I wasn't even trying to catch it.



 Tradition has it that the single gal who catches the bouquet will be the next person to get married.  I wanted to make sure this was an accurate saying, so of course I went to the absolute truth: the Internet (sarcasm).  I started Google-ing bouquet traditions and ran across this web article.   


Not only was the tradition correct, but I found it interesting that wedding go-ers in the past used to rip up the brides' dress because they considered it to be good luck.   
How much luck do you need to rip up someone's dress that they paid for? 
Kinda cray cray, if you ask me.   


As I write this, the bouquet is sitting in a vase full of water on my dresser just looking at me.  Considering I haven't been asked on a date in over a year, it seems almost like a cruel joke, the ultimate irony.  I almost feel like I cheated someone else out of the chance at this folklore/tradition since I am nowhere near on the track to "being the next bride."  


And as I thought that, I remembered one of Whitney's posts I read last week that brought me back to reality called Second Helpings.  She wrote one line that stuck with me, knowing I've thought it before: 
She's having a baby already? I need to hurry up and get married so I can, too.  


Image found here 

The catching of the bouquet puts an underlying feeling that you should have to do those things.  Anyone who catches those flowers from the bride feels that pressure and I honestly think that is crazy.  

Yes, I caught the bouquet but I shouldn't feel like I cheated someone else out of an opportunity.  I also shouldn't feel like I need to rush to get down the aisle.  I am so glad that ​Whitney wrote that blog post because it made me take a step back for a second and realize that opportunities are not going to just dry up.  

No matter if you reach out with your hand or cross your arms, 
when you are meant to "catch" something...you will.  


9 comments:

  1. Great post! And I agree, when you are meant to catch something, you most certainly will!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! You should never feel like you've cheated someone out of an opportunity because this could be an opportunity that is meant to be all yours! I don't know what, but it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate the bouquet tradition and refused to do it at my wedding because more than once, it left me feeling the exact same way you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh really? I've never heard of someone not doing the tradition - did you something different instead?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha I don't know either Jenna, but you are right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some days I don't even know what my 'dreams' are, so I am sure glad that HE does! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, we just didn't do anything. Too many times I was the only single girl out there with a bunch of 12 year olds and I just absolutely hated it. So, we skipped it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. alwaysablogsmaidApril 1, 2015 at 3:21 PM

    Oh okay I think that's a great idea to just completely not do it!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.