HOME     ABout     Contact

5.05.2015

British Guys, Burlesque and a Bellman (Part One)


As I wrote in my last post, my birthday was on Saturday.  The only thing I knew I wanted to do on my birthday was go to New Orleans.  I didn't know it would be so hard to find a hotel room months ago because I had forgotten that my 28th would fall during the second weekend of Jazz Fest 2015. 

The DoubleTree on Canal Street was one of the only hotels that didn't have a 3 night requirement.  It was the perfect hotel for our one night there.  We checked in with no problems and were handed warm chocolate chip cookies.  As we got in the room and started to unpack/relax, we heard a knock at the door.  Being 4 girls in the Big Easy, we know not to answer the door for just anyone.  Here's how it went down:

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.
Us girls: "be quiet, maybe he won't here us." 
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK (a word is said that sounds like Owen)
Us girls: "wrong room"
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK - man says really deep and loud: BELLMAN.
Us girls: OH, my bad. Mr. Bellman.  


I open the door and he has a plate of fruit for us AND a card signed specifically for me.  
What a sweet surprise. 




After we ate all the fruit and laughed at how ridiculous we were, we made our way out to Bourbon street to find some last minute wigs and walk around before dinner.  Popping in and out of the cute shops and checking out all the items the French quarter has to offer is one of my favorite things to do.  I don't even have to buy anything, just looking and soaking in all the french influences/architecture is my happy place. 

After our wigs were purchased, we walked around a little bit more and our stomachs told us it was time to eat around 6 pm.  We ended up at Chartres House and had the best time; eating, drinking and talking about how perfect the weather was. 




That fancy drink to the left was called Swamp Water and it was delicious.
 I'm not a huge drinker so if I loved it, you know it was good. 

I ordered the Red Beans and Rice and it came with two chicken strips on top and two pieces of bread.  Basically all my favorite food groups on one plate.  I tried my sister's crawfish étouffée as well and it was not terrible - it was wonderful if you love crawfish (I don't).   
The food is amazing in New Orleans, trust me on that. 

As we finished eating and getting our second round of Swamp Waters to go, we saw a wedding party walking down the street and it just resonated with me how much I love this city.  Bridesmaids walking around with their fancy dresses next to the tourists wearing big cameras around their neck is the broad spectrum of New Orleans that brings me such joy. I love people watching. 




I have said this before but I'll say it again:  
Bourbon Street looks COMPLETELY different during the day than at night.  

For example: I walked up to a poster that afternoon that said there was a Burlesque Voodoo show at 3 different times that night.  We were all very interested in seeing it so we made sure to get a reservation for a table - thinking that it was an actual burlesque show.  

By the time the show actually started we realized it wasn't anything near what we thought it was going to be, but we laughed and had a great time anyway. 
The night life is even better, trust me on that.


 I will tell you all about it...in the next post. 
But first, have you ever been to New Orleans?




6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth JoinerMay 6, 2015 at 6:16 AM

    came across your blog through a link up, and I definitely have to agree, Bourbon looks like a whole new street during the day and the night. Another street that is fun to check out is Frenchman which is a few streets away from Bourbon but looks almost the same at night and daytime (at least from what I've seen). They have a cute french market too.

    Liz at sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet to get that little gift at the hotel. Also, I LOVE their cookies! I've never been to New Orleans but we get to go next year for my conference! yay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very excited to hear about this burlesque voodoo situation! Ha! Oh, and I'm glad you let Owen deliver the gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. alwaysablogsmaidMay 6, 2015 at 6:49 PM

    Haha Tiffany, it was the most ridiculous situation and it was nothing that I expected. Haha I am too - it was such a tasty gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. alwaysablogsmaidMay 6, 2015 at 6:50 PM

    ahh I wanna go with you and take you around! ha ha I hope you have the best time - but seriously, I'll go and we can hang out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. alwaysablogsmaidMay 6, 2015 at 6:52 PM

    Oooh, I need to try that street too! I was walking down one of the roads that Sunday and I told the girls: I feel like there is so much we haven't seen yet. We tend to walk down the same roads we always do. I will definitely branch out further next time. Thank you for the recommendations, Liz! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.