HOME     ABout     Contact

1.19.2016

No Words, Just Walking


​On this road you are walking down called life, what is it that you are walking in pursuit of?  (question taken from Halie)

2016 is a year of endless possibilities (if you are open to it).  I know that I want to make this year much better than 2015, and even some parts of 2014.  I fell off the blog wagon this past year; I let my emotions get the best of me and I don't want to make that mistake again.  
Reading Halie's blog has been a breath of fresh air, honestly.  I am thankful for her biblical honesty and she asks her readers questions.  The one that stuck with me said: What are you walking in pursuit of?  It's taken me a minute to really decide, but this is what I have come up with: 

Walking in pursuit of a stronger relationship with Jesus.  It would be an embarrassment to tell you how many times I went to church in 2015.  Basically, I didn't.  If I did go, it wasn't because that's where I wanted to be, I did it more out of obligation.  One of my friend's asked me to go to a new-to-me church the first Sunday of January and ironically, I enjoyed it.  I felt welcome and not pressured by the congregation, and the preacher was also easy to understand.  He broke down the bible verses in an easy way and guess what?  I wanted to go back the next Sunday and I did.  I plan to go to church every Sunday this year that I am home. 

Walking in pursuit of a healthier body.  My annual checkup last month revealed a few things that I tried to avoid:  17 pounds gained in a year and my 'bad' cholesterol numbers are a 'little high.'  I am addicted to sugar, overweight and have a 'treat yo self' mentality that needs to change.  If I break my dr. pepper habit in 2016, I will consider that my biggest victory to date. 

Walking in pursuit of encouraging relationships.  I let a long-term friendship go in March of 2015.  I couldn't handle the constant complaining, lack of appreciation and just overall selfishness from this particular person so I stopped talking to this person altogether.  It's actually really easy for me to let relationships go that I no longer want to be a part of (I haven't fully decided if that is a good thing or not).  Switching it around, I have girlfriends around me that encourage me and want the best for me.  I want to pursue those friendships deeper, get to know them better and celebrate all their accomplishments along the way: two are pregnant and one is in the process of becoming a wife. 

Walking in the pursuit of more whole foods.  This one may sound crazy, but I am a terrible eater.  I know exactly why my cholesterol is up and it's because I love carbs, sugar, and grains.  I crave a sausage biscuit every morning, and if I could just have hamburgers and French fries for the rest of my life, I'd be set.  But what I'm (slowly) learning is that God gave us these bodies for a reason.  He is entrusting us with these temples and wants them to be treated well.  Clogging my arteries with delicious mozzarella sticks isn't the way to do that.  Telling myself 'no' is going to be one of the hardest resolutions this year. 

Walking in pursuit of more snail mail.  There is nothing more I love to do than to send the people I love handwritten notes/gifts in the mail.  Birthday presents when I can't make a party all the way to just 'thinking of you' cards is one of my favorite ways to let someone know that I love them and want to put a smile on their face.  I plan to make more of an effort to send to the ones I don't get the chance to see a lot, and especially some blogger girls I cherish but that I may never actually meet. :) 

Walking in pursuit of a better blog.  This one may sound ridiculous due to the fact that I took an un-planned three month break, but I want to remember what I started this blog for in the first place: to remember.  I remember sitting on a boat with Kathleen during Labor Day Weekend 2011 and hearing about her blog she started earlier that year.  I may never be as popular as Kathleen in the blog world, but I am so grateful that she told me about a hobby that allowed me to reminisce on some pretty great life moments.

I don't have a word for 2016, I just have to take small steps and walk towards these pursuits: the good, the bad and all the beautiful disasters in between.  

What are YOU walking in pursuit of this year?  



6 comments:

  1. WOW! What wonderful goals or pursuits to have for this upcoming year. It can really make all the difference when you find a church you love and you start letting go of relationships that aren't building you up, yes? I hope 2016 is one of your best yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassie! It really is refreshing and I hope this year is the best one for both of us! :)

      Delete
  2. hi! I haven't really commented here much before, but I wanted to stop and say how wonderful this post was. the thoughtfulness is just so apparent, and I'm excited for your 2016 right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin! I haven't had anything to comment on lately so don't feel bad! Thank you for the sweet words - you were so thoughtful to take the time to read it. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! I missed y'all - I just didn't know how to come back and write for a while.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.