HOME     ABout     Contact

6.07.2017

The End of a Decade: Maid of Honor Edition



The first time I was in a wedding occurred on April 25, 2007.  

The bride and I were roommates/dancers at Hinds and she asked me to be her Maid of Honor.  First wedding I had ever been a part of and she asked me to be someone to stand close to her and fix her dress when needed.  I was so proud to stand beside her and I think I did the majority of my duties.




The last time I was a part of a wedding day was February 11, 2017.  

The bride and I became friends through our mutual friend, Bridget, and she also asked me to be her Maid of Honor.  I tried to do all of the duties a Maid of Honor does and I hope I did everything correctly.  




I don't have any other friend's on the agenda getting married anytime soon and the weddings I have invitations too; I am just a guest in the crowd, not a girl in a dress up at the front of the venue.  And I'm okay with that.

I have learned so much over the last ten years about how to be a bridesmaid/maid of honor.  I put this post together today, just in case someone needed a little reference guide on how to be or improve your bridesmaid/maid of honor duties…



1.  You must be close friends with the Bride. 

This may sound like a no brainer, but hear me out.  Weddings either bring out the best or the worst in people; that's just a fact that I have seen lived out over the last decade.  I am still extremely close to the brides I was close friends with before their wedding day.  If I was feeling indifferent ​about a particular one, it showed.  My sister reminded me of a wedding a couple years back, that I just looked extremely angry the whole ceremony.  I didn't feel like I was, but your body just knows when you aren't having it anymore.  I don't regret a minute of any wedding I was in, I just know what my boundaries are from now on.


2.  You can't do it all by yourself.

On average, a bride will ask at least 6 girls to be a part of her big day.  That means you always have someone else to lean on for help when preparing for bridal activities, such as the bridal shower and bachelorette party.  I love to plan things and find cute gifts so planning bachelorette survival kits was one of my favorite things to do; but I couldn't do it by myself.  I needed financial help and opinions from the other girls involved.  Whenever you start to get stressed, ask for help.  One or more of the bridesmaids will jump at the chance to help, I promise you. 


3.  Always listen to the Bride.

This one may also be a little "DUH" moment, but I think this is when you learn a lot.  Just listening to the Bride and her struggles, fears, and wishes.  I will cherish each moment I had listening to the brides and how much they needed help or what they were feeling during the wedding planning process.  Your listening ear is sometimes all they need to get through that moment and on to the next step.  Don't take that time for granted.


4.  Enjoy your time with the Bride and get to know the other girls, if possible.

I have met some of the greatest girls through weddings of my close friends.  Some people that I can't imagine myself not knowing otherwise.  I fully trust each person that comes into my life, until they give me a reason not to and I think that definitely applies to weddings.  There are a lot of events that take place with weddings and the bridal party can make or break a group.  I have been so blessed to be a part of meeting wonderful ladies or making stronger bonds with the women I already surround myself with.  Get to know the girls that the bride asked to stand beside her, you may find yourself a new friend in the process. 




5.  Embrace the chaos, the getting ready "day of", and the bridesmaid dress. 

You are not going to like each dress you wear for weddings; but one thing is for sure: you will be beautiful in it.  Brides don't want their best girlfriends to look terrible, so embrace whatever color and style it is.  The one dress I had the most "uhhh, I don't know" about turned out to be one of my favorite pictures that I still showcase to this day.




6.  If you are still single (like me), learn to smile through each bouquet toss and always remember that you are enough. 

In the last wedding I was a part of, the bride didn't do a bouquet toss.  She told me beforehand that she wanted me to have her bouquet; her last single bridesmaid in the group.  She came out on the dance floor and presented the bouquet to me and it was such a sweet moment.  The flowers sat in a vase in my room for over a week and even now, it reminds me of how much I appreciate her, no matter what season of life I am currently in. 



Do you have any tips as a bridesmaid or a bride that I missed? 
Please leave them below so we can all learn from you! :)



2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of her handing you those flowers! that is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! It sure was the sweetest. :)

      Delete

Leave your thoughts ANYTIME.
I will reply back.